Monday, April 04, 2005

Catching Up

Wow, lots to catch up on! Things have been pretty crazy since I got back from my trip to visit Diane, but now the kids have gone back to school and I have a minute to breathe!

First of all, the trip was SO much fun. Unfortunately it went by much too quickly, but boy, did we cram in some fun!

I got in about 10 am on Friday in Omaha. We quickly started moving around the city trying to get to all the places on our list. We hit several yarn stores, Mangelsen's craft store, a couple bead stores, etc. At String of Purls I found some Noro Blossom #5 that I had been looking everywhere for! I was so happy....all day I kept saying (in a little sing-song voice) "I got Blossom #5!" to the point where I'm sure I was getting pretty annoying. Anyway, they said they had been waiting a year and a half to get more of that in, so I guess I was in the right place at the right time. I started another shawl like the one I gave mom for her birthday, adjusting my design a bit from the first one. I really LOVE the Noro Blossom. It's so fun to knit with....seeing what color is going to show up next in the skein, and all the colorful little slubs that are spun in too.

We shopped so much that it was 9:30 by the time we finally got to have dinner (which was at HuHot in Sioux City, IA on the way "home" to Vermillion, SD). I love Mongolian Barbecue, and I was so hungry so it really hit the spot. By the time we got to Diane's house it was about 11 pm. They are in the Central Time Zone so to my body it felt like midnight. I had gotten up at 4:30 am to get to the airport on time, so that was quite a long day, but VERY much fun!

Oh, I should mention that when I landed in Omaha the pilot announced that it was 36 degrees, drizzly rain, and the high that day was going to be 40. Oh grand, the same crap I left at home....

However, Saturday dawned a brighter and warmer day...Easter Sunday was glorious, Monday and Tuesday got better and better and were in the 70s. LOVED that weather. We've had an especially snowy winter this year so I was really needing to experience some spring weather. But, all good things must come to an end. Tuesday night a line of thunderstorms blew in and the rain stuck around for my departure. It was in the low 40s as Diane drove me back to the airport.

While I was at Diane's we did a lot of knitting. She was working on test-knitting my first soon-to-be-printed pattern, and we put our heads together with Queen Kahuna's Crazy Heels and Toes book and taught ourselves how to do Toe-Up Socks. The funny thing was that I had brought along my Trekking XXL socks that I started months ago, Cuff-Down, and had frogged the heel area about 3 times. Instead of continuing down those socks, I broke the yarn, and started Toe Up and here they are ready to be joined together. I wonder if this is the only pair of socks out there that has been knit CD/TU on the same pair. I do tend to do things my own way LOL!

Cuff Down Meets Toe Up



We both decided we love Queen Kahuna's methods and sock knitting will be much more enjoyable now. I'm glad to have gotten Diane off the DPNs and onto the Magic Loop method, doing BOTH socks at once. There's no going back now, Diane. Toss those porcupines!!!!

Another thing we did that was so much fun was get together with Diane's Stitch 'N Bitch group on Monday night at the home of one of the members (THANKS SANDY!) for pot luck dinner, dessert (and wine). I was teaching the ladies how to do the knit/beaded bracelets, so the wine mixing with bitty little beads and #0000 knitting needles...well you get the picture. They did really well though, and I think everyone enjoyed learning how to do the bracelets. You can see a few pictures on Jen's blog by clicking on the links in the paragraph next to the bead tray photo. I wish someone had grabbed her camera and gotten her in one of the pictures! Sorry Jen!

It was really nice meeting all the ladies in Diane's knitting group. I had heard a lot about them and was glad to put faces with the names. I know she really enjoys getting together with them.

All in all it was a wonderful trip. Lots of knitting, lots of good food, lots of good fun. I just wish we didn't live so far apart and could do this all the time. Sniff....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you and Diane had such fun -- sisters are great, aren't they?! I know I'll just HAVE to try the 2 socks on 2 circs method sooner or later now....

Jane said...

Ok, I found your updated blog on IE - that AOL is so silly sometimes! Love the socks, and can't wait to see the "reunion" of top and bottom.

Anonymous said...

The Blossom colorway is my all time Noro favorite.

Anonymous said...

HI,

What fun to see your "grafted together socks"! Glad you liked the book...

Queen Kahuna!
aka Mary Ann B.