Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ouch, Part 2



So now that my back is better, what the hell, go for some stitches, why don't we? Let's add a little more excitement to the summer, huh?

Sheesh? What is NEXT? (If you're squeamish, perhaps don't read what comes next, though I will try to not be too graphic.....)

Under that large dressing are 18 stitches. (6 inside and 12 on the outside)

The gauze on my calf is just covering a scrape, and there is another (larger, deeper) scrape above the wound that needed the dozen and a half sutures. It was not pretty. It was not a nice clean cut. It was ...well...like something I've never seen before. I also have a small scrape and bruise on both of my arms.

What happened was...I was getting out of the pool, coming down the ladder. And unfortunately not one, but TWO of the rungs were missing the nuts on the bolts that go through the ends of the rungs. (Unbeknownst to me, because they are UNDER the steps of course). The middle step gave way first, then the bottom and before I knew it I was hanging on for dear life, with a gaping hole in my leg caused by the bolt on the middle step as I slid past it.

Jake was outside with me when it happened and I've got to hand it to the kid, he was amazing. He ran and got me whatever I asked for at lightning speed, didn't get grossed out by what he was seeing (I know Kaitlyn would have probably passed out and been totally useless to me at that point)

I first applied pressure with a towel, but then saw that it really wasn't bleeding much (I still don't know how that's possible). I then sent Jake for the gauze and tape that I had left over from my gall bladder surgery, got things covered up as best I could , and had Kaitlyn drive me to the ER.

It must have been an interesting wound, because the nurses (and other staff on hand) all filed in one by one to gaze, and comment, and call to whoever else walking by "Have you seen this?"

Then of course the parade again once it was sewn up (2 hours later) to marvel at how nice it looked.... you know, closed up and not gaping open and gross, and all.

And darn it, why didn't I grab my iPod on the way out the door? I could have listened to a bunch of Harry Potter, or some nice soothing music as I was trying to ignore the sewing up of my leg (and all the nasty things that procedure entailed.)

At least I had finally gotten around to shaving my legs after the pinched nerve incident.


ps...I do have knitting news. The Princess Lace Wrap is blocked, and photos will follow tomorrow. I just unpinned it from the sheet on the floor so Mike didn't injure himself in the morning as he stumbles around in the dark before work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch is right! What is going on with stitches (kinda a pun huh?) in the knitting community - I just took mine out from slicing the tip of my thumb off. Hope you get some knitting done in your down time.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Glad Kaitlyn and Jake were there to help.

Jane said...

Oh my goodness, Trish! I hope you aren't having too much pain from it, and that you'll heal fast. Stay off your feet, and do lots of knitting. Lots of hugs!!

Julie said...

Oh, OW. Maybe you can use this injury as a reason to lay about the house, sipping a nice cool beverage, and having everyone wait on you. I hope so. Good luck.

Hope you heal fast.

Maria said...

Wow, Trish. Never a dull moment at your house. I'm glad a knitting needle was not involved in the injury.

Heal quickly so you can go on enjoying your summer. Hope you get some family sympathy on this one.

Love ya!

ColorJoy LynnH said...

Wowie, looks like you need a new month to start over or something. I hope your getaway helps your healing.

Lynnie